Friday, September 10, 2010

On Becoming a Chicano

I define myself as white. I can’t think of any struggle I have been through because of my racial identity. I have struggled on getting tan. Rodriguez had trouble with his grandmother and felt distant because she couldn’t communicate with him. My grandmother and I had a disagreement on tanning in tanning beds because of the risk of skin cancer. My parents want me to succeed so they want me to go to college. Rodriguez parents wanted him to have a better living so they sent him to a school so he could learn English and because they did he was able to go farther in his education.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kayde,

    You write,

    "My parents want me to succeed so they want me to go to college. Rodriguez parents wanted him to have a better living so they sent him to a school so he could learn English and because they did he was able to go farther in his education."

    How is this similar to the author's experience? Do you feel like the author's parents wanted a better future for their son? If so, why did they feel the need to gave up speaking Spanish in front of him? Why?

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete