Wednesday, September 8, 2010

How It Feels to Be Colored Me

I label myself as a single mom. In my day-to-day life I take care of my daughter. I feed her, dress her, and make sure her day is always started off the way I should be. Then I work and go to school so I can support her and always be able to give her what she needs. I want her to have everything I haven’t had. I know I don’t have the experience now that I should to be raising a baby but I have some great groups I’m in to fill me in on those important things I need to know. Sometimes I feel like I am discriminated against or get unneeded attention because I am a younger mother. I feel like some people are very rude and immature the way I receive looks or comments from people my own age and older. This makes me feel some what comparable to Hurston. Hurston says that she is the only Negro in the United States whose grandfather on the mother’s side was not an Indian chief. I believe I have the only mother that did not freak out when she found out I was expecting. I liked Hurston’s idea about the brown bags propped up against a wall with many others and full of miscellaneous items. All the items in the bag would express the people in some way it’s kind of like having someone take a walk in your shoes and find out what its like to be you.

No comments:

Post a Comment