Monday, November 29, 2010

November 29..back to reality

When I think about my education I think about elementary school. In elementary school I had trouble focusing on my work and I always had to have my mom help me with my homework. I have faced obstacles in learning, reading, and writing. I had trouble focusing in my classes, I hated to read, and the teachers where always unhappy with my writing either it was too big or too small. My obstacles were in the classroom I could never focus on the teacher and what they wanted me to do. My teachers never tried to help me focus on my work I don’t think they even noticed I wasn’t paying any attention. One thing that bothers me the most is how my mother helped me with my homework instead of trying to help me learn or notifying my teachers that I was not getting what they were teaching. In middle school I overcame these obstacles I noticed my weaknesses. I didn’t want to fall behind my class so I started to study really hard and no longer asked my mom or other family members to help me do my homework. When I think about Douglas it takes me back to when I was making that transition from elementary school to middle school. How hard I pushed myself to do my best and the struggle I faced with not really knowing how to do things on my own. I feel like I did myself a favor and I did the right thing. I wish I would have changed my ways sooner than middle school and I wouldn’t have had such a hard time. I can compare my achievements to Jordan’s because we both had to kick it in the high gear to keep up with the rest of our class but I didn’t have to study like she did. I don’t really know if this relates good or not but in Kozals book “Savage Inequalities”, he talks about how schools are unequal and when I transferred from my elementary school to my middle school the kids from savannah called us them because we were known as the rich kids, but we weren’t rich at all.

1 comment:

  1. HI Kayde,

    i find it interesting that you hold your mom partly responsible for your school work. I'm grateful that you have come to this understanding, because too often parents are not help responsible. Many times, instead of helping them either with the homework or contacting a teacher, they might do the homework for you. In turn, ask yourself, "What did I learn from this assignment?" It sounds like you have.

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete